dosage and administration1
Antiemetic Treatment of Chemotherapy-Induced Emesis in Adults who Failed Conventional Antiemetics:
- The recommended starting dosage of MARINOL is 5 mg/m2, orally administered 1 to 3 hours prior to the administration of chemotherapy, then every 2 to 4 hours after chemotherapy is given, for a total of 4 to 6 doses/day.
- In elderly patients, consider initiating MARINOL at 2.5 mg/m2 once daily 1 to 3 hours prior to chemotherapy to reduce the risk of CNS symptoms.
- Administer the first dose on an empty stomach at least 30 minutes before eating. Subsequent doses can be taken without regard to meals.
- The dosage can be titrated to clinical response during a chemotherapy cycle or subsequent cycles based upon initial response, as tolerated to achieve a clinical effect in increments of 2.5 mg/m2.
- The maximum dosage is 15 mg/m2 per dose for 4 to 6 doses per day.
- Adverse reactions are dose-related and psychiatric symptoms increase significantly at the maximum dosage. Monitor patients for adverse reactions and consider decreasing the dose to 2.5 mg once daily 1 to 3 hours prior to chemotherapy to reduce the risk of CNS adverse reactions.