MARINOL Capsules is a Schedule III drug available as gelatin capsules containing either 2.5 mg, 5 mg, or 10 mg dronabinol.
- Dronabinol, the active ingredient in MARINOL Capsules, is a cannabinoid—synthetic delta‑9‑tetrahydrocannabinol (delta‑9‑THC).
- Delta‑9‑THC is also a naturally occurring component of marijuana.
MARINOL Capsules demonstrates reversible effects on appetite, mood, cognition, memory, and perception. These phenomena appear to be dose‑related, increasing in frequency with higher dosages, and subject to great interpatient variability.
MARINOL Capsules has complex effects on the central nervous system (CNS), including central sympathomimetic activity. Dronabinol‑induced sympathomimetic activity may result in tachycardia and/or conjunctival injection.
- Its effects on blood pressure are inconsistent, but some subjects have occasionally experienced orthostatic hypotension and/or syncope upon abrupt standing.
- After oral administration, dronabinol has an onset of action of approximately 0.5 to 1 hours and peak effect at 2 to 4 hours.
- Duration of action for psychoactive effects is 4 to 6 hours, but the appetite stimulant effect of dronabinol may continue for 24 hours or longer after administration.